Steven will always be remembered as a kind friend and a dedicated cemeterian.
Steven served for many years on the New York State Association of Cemeteries Board of Directors where he was integral in assisting cemeteries across New York. He frequently and quietly assisted nonprofit leaders with counsel on effective and compassionate service for the bereaved families he cared so much about. Steven had also served for many years as Chairman of the NYSAC Government & Legal Affairs Committee. In this capacity, he assisted with regional training of nonprofit leaders and led the annual Public Affairs Conferences that brought New York’s cemeteries together with regulators and elected officials, to find common ground to support the industry and families. In this leadership role, he helped negotiate and secure the passage of some of the most transformative public policy and legislation for New York’s cemeteries in more than a generation. Many of these laws have become national models for nonprofit cemetery operations and consumer protections. It is in this recognition of this legacy that NYSAC remembers Steven and honors his memory by offering the Steven G. Sloane Public Affairs Memorial Scholarship.
The scholarship is intended to help pay registration costs and standard hotel charges related to attending the annual NYSAC Public Affairs Seminar.
Any employee of a regulated New York cemetery is eligible to apply for The Steven G. Sloane Scholarship, provided the applicant has been continuously employed by the cemetery for at least one year. Applications must be approved by the applicant’s employer. The individual scholarships will be based on demonstrated need, as well as what changes the individual hopes to gain from attendance. Scholarships will be awarded each year one month prior to the annual seminar as funding permits.
Funding for Scholarships is provided by entirely by NYSAC member donations.
Scholarship Opportunity Selection Criteria
- Any employee of a regulated New York cemetery is eligible to apply for a The Steven G. Sloane Scholarship.
- Scholarships are intended to help pay costs directly related to the applicant’s continuing education.
- Applications must be approved by the applicant’s employer.
- The amount of each scholarship will be for full registration and standard hotel charges. (Not including travel expenses)
- Scholarships will be available in any given year where funding is provided and will be determined by the NYSAC Board of Directors.
- No applicant shall receive more than one scholarship.
- Applications for the year 2024 scholarship must be received at the NYSAC Office by February 23, 2024.
- Scholarships will be provided to applicant only upon proof of registration and attendance.
- Any tax liabilities are the sole responsibility of the scholarship recipient.
- Limit 2 (two) Applicants per cemetery organization, there is no guarantee of award.
- All Scholarship recipients are required to write a “What I Learned” article for publication in the monthly publication.
-End of scholarship application-
Make A Donation
Funding for the Steven G. Sloane Public Affairs Memorial Scholarship Fund is provided by entirely by NYSAC member donations. Would you like to make a donation to the Steven G. Sloane Public Affairs Memorial Scholarship Fund